Music Generation Mayo: Mayo County Council Arts Office
Music Generation Mayo is part of Music Generation – Ireland’s National Music Education Programme, initiated by Music Network with funding provided by U2 and The Ireland Funds, matched locally by Mayo Music Education Partnership (Mayo MEP). Music Generation Mayo moved from philantrophic funding in 2014 and is now funded through the Department of Education and Skills, again matched locally by Mayo MEP.
Mayo MEP is a non-profit, non-political partnership which consists of the following organizations: Mayo County Development Board, Mayo Sligo Leitrim Education & Training Board (Lead partner), Mayo Education Centre, Mayo Community Forum and Mayo County Council Arts Department and Department of Community and Integrated Development. The partnership exists to co-ordinate music services within the county, to ensure equity of access and to develop music education opportunities for all young people.
Since 2011 a huge amount has been achieved by Music Generation Mayo including:
- Provision of training opportunities for 44 musicians on the tutor panel
- Piloted a Music in schools programme in 20 schools across the county
- Operation of 4 after school tuition centres
- Piloted and developed a preschool music programme
- Provided opportunities through the residency programme for professional musicians and young people: Gaelóga Traditional Ensemble, Ukelele Ensemble, RTE NSO residency with Mayo Youth Orchestra and the Kaleidoscope Quartet residency
- Provision of performance opportunities for young musicians in local/ regional and national contexts
- Provision of a county-wide instrument bank which is managed through Mayo County Library Service.
- Established a youth music initiative in Ballina
- Piloted and developed a programme for young children with disabilities
- Set up a significant music library resource consisting of books, CD’s and online music resources
For information on Music Generation Mayo’s programme and achievements: http://www.musicgenerationmayo.ie/